I was born and raised in Los Angeles to immigrant parents who both had successful careers as writers. I live in West Hollywood and work Downtown, and am in a long term, love-hate relationship with this city. Nowhere else is there such a collection of good and bad, high and low, warm weather and terrible traffic. People here can be both inspiring and maddening, sometimes simultaneously. Now is a special time to be in Southern California. The startup scene continues to pick up steam, and legacy media is beginning to embrace the digital revolution rather than ready the pitchforks and torches.
In December I traveled to Nepal for the BBC and trekked to Mount Everest Base Camp, covering the 60th anniversary of the Hillary-Norgay summit. I spent two weeks on the mountain, hiking through ice and glacier, more than 100 miles up to almost 18,000 feet. On Dec. 15 I held the world's highest live Twitter chat, #Everest60. It was the hardest and most rewarding experience of my life and I'm turning the journal I kept into a book. Now that I'm back, I'm looking forward to writing deeper pieces, avoiding the day-to-day 'churnalism' that in many ways is ruining the media. Good journalism and storytelling is about taking the time to ask difficult questions and think deeply.
My work has been published in print, online and on-air for publications that include Mashable, ReadWrite, Marketplace Radio, LA Weekly, SLAM, the Syracuse Post-Standard, Los Angeles magazine, Angeleno and Los Angeles Times Community Newspapers.
I have a BA in creative writing from Pitzer College and a master's degree in magazine, newspaper and online journalism from the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University.
If you want to get in touch, contact me @adampopescu
MORE BY THIS AUTHOR
- Inside The Secret Summit Where Masters Of The Universe Bond, Brand, Bleed In Navy SEAL Training
- The Multi-Million-Dollar Tenth Of A Second
- Brands Are Betting Billions That This 25-Year-Old Power Influencer Can Make You Buy Stuff
- How Neil Gaiman Stays Creative In An Age Of Constant Distraction
- Is This The Easiest Way On Earth To Learn Programming?
- How DJ Skee Is Reinventing What It Means To Be A DJ
- YouTube Star Freddie Wong On What's Next For Online Video Stars
- Is YouTube Risking A Creative Exodus?
- The Fast-Growing, Profitable Market For Kid "Influencer" Endorsements On Twitter, Instagram, Vine, YouTube, And Pinterest
- Can Twitter Help Publishers Reinvent Books?
- Can A Startup Help Publishers Cut Out Twitter, Facebook, And Flipboard?
- Los Angeles Is A Sleeping Software Titan That's About To Wake Up
- The Search For Talented Writers In The Prison System Is Changing It, Too
- This Firefighter Built His Own Google Glass App And It's Saving Lives
- Ex-Zynga And Google Engineers Help You Book A Foreign Medical Procedure